2.1.05

A new year arises

Well, here I'm again, and hopefully I can make posts more often.

A lot of things have been happening.

I graduated from university (college), and now I'm finally unnemployed 8).

I haven't been looking for a job thoroughly, but I already went to interviews in Microsoft. I had to do so many things at the last minute that more than once I thought I wasn't going to make it. Yeah, someones might say it goes against my beliefs (I'm not exactly a Microsoft's fan), but it doesn't that much. After all it's job, and even though I'll preffer a job at Novell or something like that, what I want right now is to gain experience and hell yeah, money, so Microsoft seems more than good option for that. Now let's see if they want me or not.

As of my sentimental life, well, cool things have been happening, and some shocking news, but everything is ok. One thing I'll probably regreat my whole life is that I forgot to take me a picture with the girl that went with me to the graduation after-party, she looked really gorgeus, stupid stupid stupid me. Anyway, I don't think it's a wise idea to say anything more, so I won't.

Lately what I've been doing, aside from family gatherings and eating Tamales, is hacking Gaim, more specifically the MSN protocol plugin, which is my territory.

The first thing I remember I did was to fix some memory leaks pointed out by Miah Gregory, there were some really stupid ones. Doing that I found out that some stuff althought properly freed at disconnection, they could be freed before. So I started changing a lot of stuff that prompted some desing issues, and at last the code was more memory efficient. Unfortunately as you might have guessed it, I added bugs, and fixing them requiered more changes which brought design issues. After some cycles of this (and several times switching back to old solutions) I finally came to a nice, memory efficient, enough bug free code.

Then I started hunting bugs, and then I started working back on HTTP method (to make MSN work behind firewalls). This was an odyssey, which started a while ago, and I did a lot of code working on implementations that assumed things that were false. I guess that's my approach for coding the MSN protocol plugin, trial and error.

Anyway that's working pretty well now. Now I made some random radical changes that I guess will be in the next Gaim version, 1.1.2.

Also I made some changes to the Gaim's Core, which is not my area, specicially a privacy patch for better blocking/allowing buddies and also one that adds the Buddy Icon to the Buddy Tooltip, which looks pretty cool in my opinion.

Well I guess that's all for now, Happy New Year to everybody. I guess adding more posts to my Blog will be a good new year resolution, but anyway we all now we never fulfill those 8).

No comments: