4.1.05

My Top10 of software

I was seeing the Blog of a friend, René (I didn't copy the template, it's just casualty), I thought: hey why don't I do the same but for software.

Well, I don't have too much time for that so I'll just do what I can.

1. Firefox (Web Browser)
If there is some software application that deserves to be in the #1 it's this one by no doubt. It's small, sexy, simple, useful and completey extensible. There isn't any Web Browser that can compete with this one and each time more people are realizing this fact. Internet Explorer is miles away.

2. Gmail (Web Mail)
It's by far the best mail application I've ever used, and I've tried a lot, even the good old mutt. It has unique features as labels, one gigabyte of space. Also a light, appealing, fast and useful interface.

3. 7-Zip (Archiver)
Like Winzip, but much more simpler, much more powerful, and infinitively more free. One of the best applications almost no one seems to be using.

4. Spybot-S&D! (Spyware Remover)
Spyware is everywhere, don't ask me if you have spyware; you have spyware, believe me. At this very moment almost any unprotected Windows' user is infected and even the protected ones. This is the best spyware remover you are going to get for free.

5. Gaim (Instant Messaging)
Are you tired of having so many clients for MSN, ICQ, Yahoo!, AOL? then try Gaim, it supports multiple simultaneous accounts of these protocols and much more. Sorry, I had to mention it (I contribute to it).

6. Shareaza (Peer to Peer)
Napster now costs, therefore is dead, Kazaa is infested with malware, who can you trust now? Here comes Shareaza. It can use Gnutella1, Gnutella2 and e-Donkey networks, not to mention BitTorrents. With a nice interface and now OpenSource. You can't ask more.

7. The GodFather (Music Organizer)
Are you tired of having to manually rename your mp3's from that those weird names on the net, and to organize the ID3 mess?. This application will let you easily solve these problems and much more and eventually let your music collection be so organized that some people will think you hired someone to do it.

8. ClamWin (Antivirus)
There's not much to say, it's an antivirus, it's free, and it works.

9. Dev-C++ (Development IDE)
If you want to code in C and/or C++ and you want something free, Dev-C++ is for you. It comes with it's own MinGW but can also use Cygwin and GCC.

10. CDex (CD Ripper)
If you want to save CD's in mp3, wav, ogg or whatever (ripping), this is the best application for that, free and OpenSource of course.

No comments: